Montag, 9. November 2009

The Expat's Journal: Reflections on why I left the States in the first place...


Why America?
Some people might think that leaving America is not for them.  That America is their home.  Really?  Never forget the trials and tribulations it took to make America "free".  And maybe you might say, Reg, that's why I'm staying.  I'd tell you to think about Marcus Garvey. Then I'd mention a long list of famous expats who left America.  People like WEB Du Bois, James Baldwin, and Josephine Baker.  Now, you don't have to hop the next steamship to Africa but you should get away from the States long enough to really understand America.  

I am aware that America has made progress. We are fortunate to have President Obama.  I feared that if we had continued down our previous political path, Americans might not have been welcomed anywhere abroad.  Now that Obama is in office, you can see the crushing weight of old politics that he must deal with. You can see the critics coming out like buzzards circling a carcass. That old system, that old machine is slow to die.  So, let me not waste time meandering and speculating.  It is what it is.  Let's talk about why you should bounce.
Get off the Grid

If you've got bad credit, like I had bad credit, you need to disappear for a while. Now you don't have to necessarily leave the States, but you should get off the grid. Destroy your credit cards. (They sell pre-paid ones anyway.) Use cash and make yourself untraceable if you can. Be anonymous. Start over. I don't believe that there's such a thing as a "Credit Doctor" or "Clinic".  If your credit is hurt, it's difficult to find a job.  It can even be difficult to rent an apartment or apply for a mortgage. When your ability to earn a living, in a country drenched in wealth, is based on your credit score, you need to consider other options.

Trust me when I say that your credit nightmare is over in Germany.  First of all, you won't be getting new credit anytime soon. Banks in Germany place  higher restrictions on who they allow credit. A German friend once told me that I was lucky to even have a checking account. "They don't give those to just anyone," he had said. America is the only place in the world that gives out credit like it's air. Is there any wonder why the subprime mortgage crises happened in the first place?  People who think that you should be a good, responsible citizen and maintain a good credit record don't understand that "credit" is a form of capitalism that puts everyday, hardworking people in the poor house. You are dreaming if you think the credit card companies care if you pay off your debt.  They hope you never pay your bill. "Credit" is what keeps Third World Countries, Third World. It's also what keeps America the so-called World Superpower.   Skeptics and haters should feel free to read a book entitled: Confessions of An Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. 
There is something else that is completely mind-numbing about American behavior.  We live beyond our means and judge other people by what they own.  There are so many broke people driving flashy cars and living in large homes that they can't afford.   Financial Expert Robert Kiyosaki even stated that Americans have little to zero net-worth on paper despite all the toys they have. 

During my travels, I have had a string of odd jobs. One particularly interesting job I recall was working as a salesman for an automobile dealership. I could not believe the number of months extended to new car buyers, most of whom had little money. You should've seen the evil grins plastered on the faces of my managers when some young dude strolled onto the lot checking out the latest SUV. I quickly realized that the absolute worst thing you can purchase is a brand new vehicle on credit with little or no money down.  It could potentially put you in the poor house for several years.  I know I'm not saying anything that the average consumer doesn't know.  I'm just saying it's time to return to the basics. 
Less is More!

Money doesn't grow on trees and neither do automobiles, houses, or clothes.  In fact, we need to start thinking more about the environment.  If you must absolutely buy a car, consider a compact, electric, or hybrid car. If you can help it, get a bike or take public transportation. 
Personally, I am tired of the capitalism game.  If I am going to play it, I choose to play it on my terms which means I have less money, less stuff but more freedom to see the world.  We Americans are a very materialistic lot and it hurts us.  Money remains the number one reason for divorce.  So, what do I propose: live like an expat!  Streamline your living situation.  Buy everything small and compact. Live frugal. Have the very basics and plan your life so you can remain mobile. 

This philosophy allowed me to walk away from America.  And yes, I do miss my family and close friends, but I do not miss that country. 

Until next time...

The Expatriate

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen